Thursday, August 16, 2007

ALWAYS FEELING DIFFERENT




I knew I liked girls when I was probably six or seven years old, though I didn’t know why I was feeling that way. When I was about 18 or 19 I decided I was gay – it was all I knew at the time. I didn’t have an understanding of what transgender or transsexual was.
I was always attracted to straight women and I couldn’t understand what that was about. It worked for me at that time though, so I was happy with that.
It was hard to have long-term relationships with straight women, because they would always go back to men. So when I was 30 I decided I would be interested in lesbians. But when I started going out in the gay community I felt different. It was hard for me to come across anyone I found attractive.
I used to have a strong reaction to bridge women, so I would engage them in conversation. I was really surprised to hear that they didn’t feel like men – they dressed like men, but that was about presentation. They didn’t want to be labelled in a particular way.
I was studying counselling at that time and learning about gender issues. I hadn’t had much exposure to it, and I found that lesbians weren’t very open in talking to me about it. There is still so much confusion around the issue.
I then started dating feminine lesbian women and there were also some issues there. Every now and then I found them to be a bit masculine and that made me uncomfortable at times.
But for the last two years I have been with a partner who has a lot of knowledge on the subject. She helped me to understand that I was transgender.
I don’t want to change my sex and I don’t want to become a man. I am happy this way and I am not going to go there. That is where a lot of the confusion and misunderstanding comes from.
Most of the other women I have met who are in a similar position will have the operation and change their sex, so I do feel quite alone. I am sure there are others out there, but I haven’t met them.
I am now beginning to understand why, when I go out on the scene, I am not attracted to lesbians. However, I sometimes find feminine lesbians attractive.
I now formally identify as transgender. I don’t specifically dress like a man or wear men’s clothes. Maybe if I was a man I would be happy to wear men’s clothes, but I am comfortable with the identity I have got.
I wear women’s clothes, but I wear pants and a shirt that are not of a feminine presentation.
People would not know I am transgender by looking at me – they usually see me as a tomboy. Straight women are often attracted to me though. I don’t know whether it is for fun or because they are attracted to a male energy.
If people ask how I identify, I will often say I am gay. But I will say I am transgender if I am talking to someone who has an understanding of gender issues.
In my experience, the straight community has been more willing to understand it. When I talk to lesbians there has sometimes been a negative reaction. A few women I have spoken to when I go out on the scene just look at me in a really confused way. I have definitely found that within the lesbian community there is a lack of knowledge.
* Not her real name.
As told to Cara Davis


Internet Comments:
User Comment

Submitted by Craig, from Sydney, NSW,on the 16/08/2007 3:57:27 PM
Congratulations! to the SSO for putting this accurate piece of information about transgender 'out there' and not turning it into a hodgepodge. Well done! More power to 'Kim' in life as well! Kim said: " I don’t want to change my sex and I don’t want to become a man. I am happy this way and I am not going to go there...Most of the other women I have met who are in a similar position will have the operation and change their sex, so I do feel quite alone. I am sure there are others out there, but I haven’t met them.".... there ARE transgender girls out there like yourself. You might need to 'hunt a little" than usual, but they are absolutely around. It's true there is that group of men around (in apparently female-looking bodies) who will correct their sex and their birth certificate - but my friend - there is definitely plenty of women just like yourself who are transgender. I hope you meet some through this excellent piece of journalism. FTM Australia http://www.ftmaustralia.org/

1 comment:

cheekyflair said...

Hey I'm a 27yr old Latina lesbian in the mid western part of the united states... I want to Give this blog page my deepest gratitude due to the fact that every word you said in this blog made me feel like I have been saying this my whole life... I have been single all my life and been attracted to Straight women the entire time I have been dating... Those relationships never work...

I have an awful track recored when it comes to dating and I have never been in a real relationship I never felt that I belong as a matter of fact I still to this day I feel that I don't belong ANYWHERE gay lesbian bi straight... I adapt well though... to conform is feels like i have to smother my true Identity what ever that is... I'm thinking that being a label is sad and in a way nessecary to be identified...

Does this mean that I might have found one finally cause I always thought that the label androgynous was so nothing that I am... It would be so awesome for some information on what you think on this...

I have an attraction to Very Heterosexual Females Very Feminine Lesbians and Transgender men that Really look and act like women from head to toe... please help thank you

Cory

p.s my e-mail address is cheekyflair420@yahoo.com hope to hear from you soon